Research Group Scientific Computing & Uncertainty Quantification
Overview | People | Publications | Teaching | Reading Group | Supervised Theses
The group of Prof. Ullmann focuses on Uncertainty Quantification for PDE-based models. The goal of our work is the design and analysis of efficient algorithms and estimators for PDEs with random inputs. To this end we use tools from Numerical Analysis, Data Science and Computational Science and Engineering.
- Uncertainty analysis, uncertainty propagation
- Multilevel estimators
- Reliability analysis and rare events
- Statistical (Bayesian) inverse problems
- Model-based Machine Learning
- Prof. Ullmann is Associate Editor of the SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing and the SIAM/ASA Journal on Uncertainty Quantification.
- In 2021-2022 Prof. Ullmann is elected Vice Chair of the SIAM Activity Group on Uncertainty Quantification.
- In 2020 Jonas Latz wins the SIAM Student Paper prize. Congratulations!
We are always looking for motivated students who want to write a thesis or carry out a term project in Uncertainty Quantification, Scientific Computing or Numerical Analysis. We are happy to discuss possible topics according to your interest and knowledge. As prerequisite you should have completed a course (e.g. MA5348) or seminar (Bachelor, Master) offered by the group (see teaching page). Possible topics are:
- Pre-smoothing and Multilevel Monte Carlo for rare event estimation
- Projection-based surrogate models for Bayesian reliability updating
- Uncertainty Quantification in dynamical systems
- List of supervised theses
- SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering, 26 February - 03 March 2023, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- MASCOT-NUM Annual Conference, 03 - 06 April 2022, Le Croisic, France
- The mathematical and statistical foundation of future data-driven engineering, 24 - 28 April 2023, Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK
- GAMM Annual Meeting, 30 May - 02 June 2023, Dresden
- Foundations of Computational Mathematics, 12 - 14 June 2023, Paris, France
- UNCECOMP 2023, 5th International Conference on Uncertainty Quantification in Computational Science and Engineering, 12 - 14 June 2023, Athens, Greece
- New directions in Applied Linear Algebra, 27 August - 01 September 2023, Banff International Research Station, Canada